I find that people still believe that being a top salesperson means you need to be cut-throat or at the very least super aggressive. In fact many think that to be a salesperson you also have to be a bit slimy. Fortunately that is not true. In fact the best sales people I know are kind, soft spoken, and ethical people. So if you are looking for a good salesperson here are some of the top traits you should look for.
- Optimistic – Salespeople see the glass as half full. They need the positivity to over objections that they experience through the sales process. In fact it has been proven to be true. One of the best case studies comes from the work of psychologist Martin Seligman. He was hired by the CEO of Metropolitan Life in New York to help with their sales turnover challenge. Dr. Seligman persuaded Met Life to give him access to their new sales candidates and administer their usual testing measures, as well as a new test he developed which measured optimism. He followed the progress of the new sales hires for one year and found that salespeople who scored high in optimism sold 33 percent more insurance than those who scored low. After two years, the optimistic salespeople were thriving in their positions. Met Life experienced increased retention, decreased turnover, and increased sales.
- Confidence – “Confidence can get you where you want to go, and getting there is a daily process. It’s so much easier when you feel good about yourself, your abilities and talents,” – Donald Trump. Exuding confidence will he
gain a salesperson credibility with a customer.
- Knowledgeable – A good salesperson will endeavor to know everything possible about their product.
- Good Follow Through – I have seen many orders fall apart because the salesperson did not make sure to follow through. I have also seen customers stop doing business with a company because the salesperson was not responsive to their needs.
- Good Listener – A salesperson listens to their customers to find out what their needs are and where the opportunities exist.
- Perseverance – Selling is an effort to beat the odds of rejection. Even top performers don’t close every sale. But they don’t take the rejection personally either.
- Passionate – Passion is infectious. It is more vital than what you realize. Successful salespeople have the ability to maintain their interest and passion and communicate that to their customers.
- Disciplined – Top salespeople make sure that their days are productive with things that make sales and not just busy work.
- Looks for a win win – A good salesperson makes sure that the sale is a benefit to his customer as well as the company he represents.
- Creative – Creativity is the cornerstone of selling. Top salespeople find possibilities where other people quit.