Fashion brands rely on their sales teams to bring in new customers, keep the customers happy and grow their business. When a company doesn’t experience growth then that is a sign something is wrong. While most times the problem is product driven sometimes it is the sales team that is failing to have results. When a team’s sales figures are low month after month, it’s time to do some investigating.
By looking for these clues you can be enlightened to the problem.
- Do you find your salespeople doing a lot of paperwork? It is very easy for a salesperson to get distracted by busy work. Sometimes this is the fault of the management who dumps a lot of processes and reports on the team. If you are doing paperwork your are not selling.
- Your people are not on the phones. Speaking to buyers is the most effective way to bond with them and increase the stores business. Too many salespeople over rely on emails which takes the relationship building out of the equation.
- Lack of follow up. From the first phone call to the first showroom appointment to the first order, there are many steps in between. Continually reaching out to a buyer to insure the process of getting an order is key. I once hounded a buyer for her order till she explained to me she had to place her basics first. I asked her what she needed and found the product in another division of my company. She bought those basics from me which totaled $450,000. Without the follow up I would never had gotten that order.
- They don’t travel to see their buyers. The most effective salesperson I knew constantly visited his buyers in their offices. It’s often going the extra mile (no pun intended) that strengthens the bond.
- Too much gossiping or socializing. It is important for your sales team to get a long and be collaborative. However, too much socializing can compromise the overall productivity in the office. Employees need to remember they are not at work to socialize; they are there to work.
Selling is an interesting job. It is not like making a line of clothes with clear tasks that have clear results. It is a job that required a person to be a self started. While a good salesman must have the drive and determination to succeed; even the best salespeople can get derailed. That is why you need to be involved and not leave your sales to chance.