Independent sales reps are business owners just like you. While they do work for you they are not employees but more like partners that work closely with you to produce sales for your company. If you think of them that way then you are more likely to have a successful partner ship with them. It is important to have a good relationship as it will encourage them to pay more attention to your brand. Let’s face it we tend to work harder for people we like. So be quick to answer their questions, get them samples on time, ship their orders by the delivery date, and always pay their commissions when due. The following are 5 things you should look for when hiring a sales rep.
- Try to find sales reps by asking buyers who they recommend. You want to make sure the rep has a good reputation in the market and the stores like them.
- If they are reps in a market that people travel to then they should have their own showroom that will reflect your collection well.
- The sales rep you hire must have lines that would sell to the same stores you would. Good reps have a focus to their showroom so that they can optimize their time and success.
- At the same time you do not want to have a rep who has a product that competes with yours. It doesn’t help you when a sales rep splits a potential order with more then one brand.
- It is important that they do some traveling to their stores. Not all buyers make it to market each season. Traveling to see them will increase your orders and also builds relationships with the buyer. Most good reps find visiting their accounts is vital to their business growth.
Finding good reps is hard. Not because they aren’t out there, but, because they are very picky about the lines they carry. So if you find a good one you will want to nurture your relationship to ensure success.