What are the 5 Things To Look For When Hiring An Independent Fashion Sales Rep? A good fashion sales rep can make a big difference in your business. They not only sell stores and take orders, but, they give you market information, such as: what is selling in the stores, what is trending, and how business is. A good rep has strong relationships with their buyers so they can get and give you honest and valuable feed back on your line. They also give you exposure to stores that you might otherwise not see. The 5 things to look for when hiring one are as follows:
- Do they have lines in their showroom that sell the same customers as your brand does? You want to make sure that your collection is seen by stores that would buy your kind of product. If not then chances are you will be successful with this rep.
- Do their lines that compete with yours? While not being in a showroom with a direct competitor sounds like a no brainer, sometimes a business owner hopes by being in the showroom they can be as successful as the competitor. The truth is if the rep already has a substantial business with the competitor the buyers are not going to see the need for also bringing in your product.
- Do you feel you can work together? Having a good relationship with your rep is a must. Remember they are not your employee but more like your partner. So having a good rapport will go a long way in building a business together.
- The rep has good communication skills. It is important to work with Reps that return calls in a timely manner and share results of shows and meetings. The more information a rep shares with you the better your chance of success.
- The rep has excellent follow through. This is key for your company but also for the stores they sell. This is an integral part of the relationship building process between your company, your rep, and the buyer.